Minimalistic 30L backpack
With time I am becoming more and more pragmatic, minimalist and essentialist. Which means that I try to concentrate more things in just one.
Often when I travel I am asked: “don’t you miss your friends?”
Here they are my trip companions :
A BICYCLE, of course, and…
- Android Galaxy S (last model or previous)
- Rugged silicone phone case with stand (vertical/horizontal) heavy duty
- Tempered glass screen protector
- Desktop charger cradle with external battery charging
- USB long cable fast charging (OEM)
- Offline dedicated gps
- Download of offline area in Google maps
- Compass app
- Audiobooks 30 hours (Audible)
- Podcasts 30 hours (podcast addict)
- Falling fruit (to find free wild edible)
- Flashlight widget
- Chromebook (laptop)
The Samsung series (Chromebook 2) are quite good, but the important is to have 4gb of ram.
- Anti glare screen protector (if glossy display)
- Fluorescent keyboard stickers (to see the keys in the dark)
- Usb chargers x3: one with 3 ports(AUKEY 5V6A), another with 2 and a normal single port
- Universal travel Power adapter with 2 USB outputs
- Solar led light-usb power bank (small)
- Headphones with microphone, comfortable & good quality (to listen audiobooks)
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR TRAVELING BACKPACK: the less the better
Try to get things which you can use for different purposes.
- Shorts / Swimming pants
- Sport thin pants black (to use as pijama too)
- Comfortable Elegant/classic pants (better tight), not jeans
- Raining pants (to keep in the jacket)
- Thighs (black)
- Shirts with long sleeves (colored & dark) x2
- Sleeveless shirts with large shoulders (dark) x2
- T-shirt white x1
- Neck warmer/scarf (Elastic, thin and round) band x3
- Underwear x1
- Socks (warm 2x thin 2x)
- Small microfiber towel
- Thin sandals (xero shoes)
- Small nylon bag (to put dirty clothes etc)
WEARING AT DEPARTURE
- Jacket waterproof
- Travel money belt, where you can hide money inside
- Belt pouch (decathlon art. 1787447)
Except the sandals that are already in the bag better to not bring a second pair of shoes. The one that you wear have to be really good:
- Warm for minus temperature
- Making you not sweat at 20°
- Duct tape (black – good quality)
- Cable ties (good quality, several sizes)
- Snap hooks in aluminium (small x5, big 5x)
- Velcro (adhesive)
- Rubber bands (small, strong & black)
- Instant glue
- Silicone water bag
- Carton board (as laptop sleeve & hitchhiking sign)
- Hook code locks x3, to lock all the zippers of the bag or jacket
- Pepper spray 2x: one by the hand while cycling/hiking another in the bag/jacket (really useful for aggressive dogs or people)
- Condoms (depending…)
COSMETICS AND SOCIAL
- Visit cards
- Postcards (or some paper to leave messages)
- Mini first aid kit
- Cosmetics: alcohol gel, tooth paste, hand Cream, perfume
- Hair/beard trimmer USB
- Sleeping bag (ultralight) – I am using “S15 Ultralight Quechua – Decathlon”
- Sleeping pad* (ultra compact) – Using “(self-inflating) A100 (50×117) Ultralight Quechua”
- Bike repair set, including Spray tire fix, extra inner tube, adhesive Patches, mini pump
- Good lighter (waterproof)
- Cord (green, universal, small)
*Sleeping pad best models:QUECHUA A100 Ultralight, Micro 2 Goose Down REGULAR Compact, RECON 2 Gen II, Snugpak Softie3, Roman Palm, MICRO MCII
My favorite backpack has been “Careebee 30L trail backpack” for a while.
I would suggest you a backpack that has at least three big compartments, with one of them fully accessible from the front side where you can put all your gadgets.
The more compartments the better, but with at least one big space for bulky things.
Sizes from 30L to 50L, you really don’t need more.
HOW TO AVOID LOSING THINGS
To avoid losing things group your items in maximum three places and don’t leave any item by itself.
Prepare the bag the day before departure.
- Get a Tile(electronic tag) to locate lost things. To hide in the backpack, wallet, passport, jacket and bicycle.
- Write your email address inside your backpack on the textile.
- Leave a smiling picture of you both in the backpack & wallet.
Did you pack everything?
Leave a comment if you want to know more about what to bring in your lifetime travel!